Rob Quist on the Issues (https://robquist.org/issues/)
Rob on the Issues in a Nutshell:
- Montana Folk Singer (political outsider)
- Opposes transfer of public lands to private hands
- Strong voice for agriculture
- Supports Social Security and Medicare
- Supports the Affordable Care Act
- Supports veterans (quality healthcare and workforce re-entry)
- Supports responsible gun ownership
- Pro timber
- Pro public education
- Pro choice
- Against defunding Planned Parenthood
- Supports preserving the arts in our education system
- Invest in infrastructure, manufacturing industry, universities, and high tech industry
- Close tax loopholes to corporations that move jobs oversees
- Tax reform to support small businesses, workers, and families
- Streamline the student loan process and cap interest rates for student loans at a maximum of 3%; create more opportunities for loan forgiveness in exchange for service.
- Equal pay for equal work
- Government shouldn’t dictate who we love and marry
- Too much money in politics; corporations are not people
- Born and raised on the Quist family ranch in Cut Bank, Rob learned that nothing gets done without hard work and commitment. In Congress he’ll fight for Montana families by working to invest in infrastructure and Montana’s manufacturing industry and reform the tax code so that it works for small business owners and rural communities.
- Montana stands out among all other states when it comes to entrepreneurial spirit. Rob will work to bolster our thriving small businesses and hard-working families by investing in Montana’s universities, cutting unnecessary red tape and continuing to build up Montana’s high tech industry.
Second Amendment Rights
- As a lifelong outdoorsman and gun owner, Rob is a strong supporter of our Second Amendment rights. He will fight for the right of law-abiding Montanans to own and use guns responsibly.
- Rob will fight to make sure all Montanans have access to quality, affordable health care. He will stand up to special interests and politically-motivated D.C. politicians who are attempting to dismantle the Affordable Care Act, which helps keep Medicare strong and ensures Montana families aren’t broken by outrageous and prohibitive health insurance costs.
- Rob knows that the Montana National Guard and Malmstrom Air Force Base play critical roles in our country’s security, and will fight to strengthen them and protect the jobs they provide to hundreds of Montanans. Rob will also be a staunch advocate for Montana’s many veterans who have made incredible sacrifices to keep their fellow Americans safe. He will ensure they have the resources they need when they come back home– including health care and employment services.
- Rob also believes that Montanans’ Constitutional rights are critically important, and that our right to privacy must protected even as we make defending our country a priority.
- Strong stance on Russia: A spokeswoman for Rob said: “Putin’s Russia invaded Ukraine and interfered in last fall’s presidential election,” said Tina Olechowski. “That kind of aggression is a clear threat to our democracy and global security, and in Congress Rob would evaluate all of our options including whether it makes sense to step up military aid to Ukraine.”
- Rob is a lifelong outdoorsman who opposes any attempts to transfer Montana’s public lands to private hands. He believes public lands are our state’s single greatest asset, and must be protected for future generations.
Farmers and Ranchers/Agriculture
- As the son of a Montana rancher and dry land wheat farmer, Rob knows first-hand that agriculture is the backbone of our economy– with nearly 28,000 farms and ranches across the state. Rob will be a strong voice for ag in Washington, D.C, working to advance agriculture by investing in technology and product marketing, and scrutinizing trade agreements.
- He will work across the aisle to ensure that American farmers and ranchers are getting paid competitive prices in every trade agreement.
- As a small business owner and entrepreneur, Rob understands the burden of an unfair tax system that makes it harder for small business owners to thrive. He will make tax reform a priority, working to close tax loopholes for corporations that ship American jobs overseas and rewriting the tax code to support Montana’s small businesses, workers and families.
Social Security and Medicare
- Rob stands with seniors and will protect Social Security and Medicare. Seniors have worked hard and paid into these systems for their entire lives– and should never have to worry about losing these crucial programs.
- Rob supports an energy plan made for Montana and written by Montanans. He understands the importance of developing a comprehensive energy plan that utilizes Montana’s natural resources while exploring new energy technologies that will put Montana on the cutting edge and serve the needs of all Montanans.
- Rob will fight for the development of and investment in Montana’s timber industry to preserve timber jobs. He will explore innovative ideas to harvest beetle kill areas and use those resources to help improve infrastructure projects in our communities.
- The sacrifice made by our veterans can never be fully repaid. Rob will demand that veterans receive access to quality and efficient health care.
- Veterans face cumbersome red tape as they transition back to the workforce– and Rob will work to streamline the job process for veterans and incentivize businesses to hire veterans.
- It is unacceptable that students who come out of college face crippling debt and high interest loans, which take decades to repay. Rob will fight for Montana’s students and working families who face challenges due to high tuition costs.
- Quist supports legislation that will streamline the student loan process and cap interest rates for student loans at a maximum of 3%. Rob will work to expand dual enrollment that will allow high school students to receive college credit, and will work to create more opportunity for students to receive loan forgiveness after serving in AmeriCorps or the Peace Corps.
- Rob believes public education is the bedrock of investing in our children’s future. His wife, Bonni, worked five years as an English teacher in Kalispell where teachers’ starting pay is lower than most school systems in the nation.
- Rob opposes any legislation that attempts to take away funding from our public schools in order to direct it toward private schools. He will fight to expand investment in Montana’s public schools and teachers.
- Rob believes women should have the right and freedom to make their own healthcare decisions without government intrusion. He stands against the defunding of Planned Parenthood, which provides vital health care services to thousands of Montana women.
Equal Pay for Equal Work
- Rob supports equal pay for equal work. He will work to pass the Paycheck Fairness Act and support initiatives that close the wage gap.
Freedom to Marry and Non-Discrimination
- Rob Quist believes the government should not be involved in people’s personal lives, and that everyone has a right to love and marry whoever they choose.
Native American Rights
- Growing up near an Indian reservation, Rob understands the importance of working with Montana’s Tribes. He believes in Tribal Sovereignty and the right of self-determination for all Native Peoples.
- Rob believes there is too much money in politics and supports an amendment to overturn Citizens United. He believes, like the majority of Montanans, that corporations are not people and should not be allowed to influence our elections.
- Rob supports preserving the arts in our education system and supports artists and musicians, who have chosen the creative path in the world.
10. Republican Opponent – Greg Gianforte
- Wealthy multimillionaire (often painted as a “transplant” from New Jersey)
- Started a software company that was later sold to Oracle
- Pro gun
- Pro coal and timber
- Supports repealing and replacing Obamacare/the Affordable Care Act
- Protect our border and deport criminals
- Strengthen military and defeat ISIS
- “Drain the Swamp” – Supports term limits and ban to end members of Congress becoming lobbyists
- No balanced budget, no paycheck.
- Reportedly sued the State in 2009 to remove a public access easement that allowed public access along a portion of the East Gallitan River that runs through land owned by Gianforte.
- Reportedly owns $250,000 in Russian index funds (funds indexed to the Russian equities market—essentially, “betting on Russia’s economy”):
- Rob Quist official website: https://robquist.org
- Montana Secretary of State, Election and Voter Services: http://sos.mt.gov/elections
- ACLU Voter Protection Hotline: 877-523-2792
- Montana Secretary of State voter hotline (for questions about voting and to report suspected election law violations: 888-884-VOTE (8683) or email [email protected]